Friday, January 2, 2009

First Snow of Winter - A Romantic Moment


08 December 2008
Seoul Korea

Can’t help staring out of the window as this piece is written. Seoul is not exactly what I pictured it to be. Yet it continues to surprise me in every way. I got to admit I did not fall in love with the city immediately. Maybe because I was a little exhausted from all the fun of Shanghai and Hong Kong. I was really sleepy the day I flew into Seoul. Yet the moment we went to Myeondong – the lights, the colors and little streets bring me back to life. Of course not forgetting to mention the food and shopping. They a-w-e-s-o-m-e in like really really AWESOME. The shopping is 24 hours literally. At the least one we went to opens till 5am.. Yes - 5 in the morning… can’t find shopping like that anywhere else huh? Apparently not only one mall in Korea opens till those hours. I remembered during my days in Australia we are excited if we get to shop till Midnight. Obviously we did not give the opportunity away this time and followed the Koreans in shopping till wee hours in the morning.

I was woken up this morning with the news of snowing in Seoul. Can’t resist but to rush up to the window panel in my room and truly it was snowing a little. I wrote a piece about it this morning. I was very excited about the whole scene. It is so peaceful just to stare out of the window. I sat there for the longest time ever.

However, the universe is always so kind and generous to me. As we were walking along Insa-Dong the artsy area of Seoul it started to snow – like really really snow. I swear I was so happy I want to dance on the street itself – maybe I was dancing. Haha. In fact everyone around us was. We were all busy snapping pictures recording the moment it happened. For us non Koreans I can understand why I we are so excited about seeing snow because it is just such an unusual sight for us. I was surprise though why are the Koreans themselves so excited about snowing?? Later only did I find out from my Korean friend when she took us out for dinner that tonight was the first snowing night in Seoul for this winter. So tonight is actually a very special night for them. It is also considered to be a very romantic night in Korea. Maybe that is why I felt a very loving feeling around me. Sitting by the café sipping my tea looking at couples laughing and enjoying the snow falls outside those huge window panels.

Got to admit it makes me gave a romantic encounter a thought. Travelling from one place to the other, not being in a place for more than two weeks this year makes falling in love or a romantic relationship quite impossible. Despite the many advice to settle down, consider a relationship or the many ‘match making’ out of goodwill of friends I was so in love with my own freedom. The freedom of being in Bangkok this weekend and HongKong next. The freedom to just lived two months in Europe or just hop the plane to Seoul without any prior plan or in this case worse – without winter clothes. *wink**wink*

However, just as all these thoughts went by – another deeper thought slip into my heart and bring me a big smile. I actually achieved the goal I set for myself about two years ago. I believe Oscar Wilde wrote this “To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance”. This year I been filled with many many romantic encounters with myself – fireworks by the Blue Danube, the rainbow by river Seine in Paris, sunset in Rome, the night lights of Big Ben in London, the bright azure blue of the sea in Nice, the gorgeous port in Monaco, lunch by the port in Barcelona, the night neon lights by Shanghai, the view of the Peak in Hongkong on New Years, the breathe taking moment in Sirocco Bangkok now the sight of the first snow in Seoul. God’s kinder than that because in some of these moments are shared with people whom I have learnt to love many many years now. My parents – especially mom who did part of Europe with me, being in Shanghai with Godma Jackie and Bangkok with my Thai godparents, my sister Joanna, Best friends – Yen Wei whom did some of Europe with me, Joanne whom did Bangkok and HongKong together, Magdalena whom decided to spend a few days in Penang with me and Vanessa whom I am now in Seoul with. I am looking forward to the next one PeiLing, Joanne and Yen Wei is doing together – our annual best friend trip!! Also the trip to Spain with Mei Che Che where old friendship renewed and we get to know each other all over and deeper. *smile* Many trips that I found new friends, catch up with the olds and having some great moments of serendipity. Most of all being with me at all times, getting to know myself deeper than before.

So for now I’ll be contented with my present moment. Staring out of the window waiting for it to snow again so that I can make a wish – a wish I hope will come true. ;-)


-------

No comments: