Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Walk With The Wise II

22nd Jan 2009
Penang, Malaysia

Today I saw my mentor again and I like what he shared with me. Some little piece of wisdom that I in turn will share here. *smile*

He asked me as we were chatting, "Jenn, if there is a bottle of water and a bar of gold given to you, which one will you pick?". Knowing my mentor over a decade I think for a while before answering, my mind turn complex...there were all kinds of thoughts running thru my head. Some of my fellow Dharma farers of course each made their pick - water or gold. I smile and I replied, "I don't know, Rev Sir".

What is the wisdom in it?

He smile and said to us, "If you are on a ship and the ship is sinking - grab that bottle of water. If you are well and your basic need are met - take the gold. It can serve you better or improve your life"

Ahuh! We all looked at him and nod in agreement.

Most things and object in life are of neutral value. One man's meat the other man's poison so the saying goes. At every moment we got a choice - to pick the best thing for our growth or the best thing for our down fall. Ironically, some will pick gold when the ship is sinking and some will pick water even when they do not need it because they think is 'spiritually' wrong to pick the gold. Both are not wise and they might have done the decision in the spur of the moment too.

However, some are like me *grin* at this point - so afraid of making mistake - remain staring at both items trying to rationalize and probably even by pass the opportunity of making a choice. Ended up still staring!



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: