Sunday, November 23, 2008

A walk with the Wise

I took a walk with my mentor today. I got to admit I ask him a rather peculiar question today.

The story started this way, my mentor requested for me to study the Quran (Islam) as well as the Torah/Talmud (Judaism) for my own progress and growth. He says these books including the Dharma and the Bible are some most wonderful literature written thru the passage of time. Of course as always being a 'good' (hahaha) student I went on to read and read. As I read I of course indulge deeper into the books. *smile*

However, one of the condition of Buddhism is 'letting go' in the end including the Dharma itself. So after a few days I got somewhat really 'lost'. So when we were taking our walk I asked him,
"Venerable Sir, how does one reads as well as letting go at the same time?"

As usual he gave me a huge heartily laugh, "Hahaha, he says, interesting - how do one reads as well as let go at the same time... hahaha"

Then this was his answer to me:

Jennifer, a good mind is a mind that works like a sieve, it is able to retain the things it needed and sieve away the ones it does not need.

More importantly, a good mind - is one that is able to remember what it wants to remember and forget what it wants to forget.

A photographic memory is not excactly that good to have as many old people suffer at their ending days because of their 'good' memory.

Is indeed a wise answer. It makes me laugh at myself still it once again brings me to another level.




--------------------------------

No comments: