Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Commitment thru Understanding the Dharma


"I would never, for the sake of one lifetime of enjoyment, plunge into aeons of misery.People all over the world are mired in these kinds of suffering. If one desires to be free of them, the only option is to leave the secular world and enter the gate of Buddhism." ~ Kuan Yin
http://www.exoticindiaart.com/

This quote 'caught' me about a week ago during one of my night studying sessions.

As usual nothing is by coincidence in my life anymore, this week my mentor told me he wants me to speak during this year's university dharma camp on "how precious the dhamma is in our daily life".

Obviously, a lot of people ask - what is the Dharma? Dharma is a mere word use for the teachings of Buddha. Maybe similair to what 'ayat' in Quran is to the Muslim, or what the Bible is to the Christian or the Torah to Judaism.

The Dharma is not hard to read at all - in summary is call the 'Four Noble Truth' and 'The Eight Noble Path'. Yet having studying it for 10 years now - I wonder if I even got into 1/10 of actually understanding the depth of it.

It is probably not the easier route but I am sure that is what Kuan Yin wanted me to understand in the first place. Where do I really want to go from here? My answer to her is simple : Nirvana.



--------

No comments: